Tuesday, March 4, 2008

And then.....

I actually put on a pair of jeans to go to the doc on Monday. I couldn't keep 'em buttoned for lengths at a time, and they hang off me like a grandma's underwears, but the doc smiled. A LOT. Told me everything was healing nicely, poked, poked, poked. OW. Naturally, I expected the pain.

Then mom dragged me into borders to find books for her upcoming trip. (Oh yes, there will BE no pierogi day this year, don't get me started about the Easter thing.)

We went to get haircuts. Then she wanted to get me a "going back to work outfit" because well, let's face it, I DO look like I'm playing dress-up in mommy's clothes. Losing 60+ does that. She just said, "hey, let's go next door and get you something that FITS you..." LOL

I'm telling you, a fistula and a mashed potato-broth diet? Best EVER! (right)

Anyway, I am down FOUR sizes, can shop in the "misses" section again, and was all excited to get back to work and then...

this morning I get a phone call...

"We're gonna have to let you go."

Yep, peeps, I am now unemployed. Talk about kicking a girl while she's down. Not to mention on medical leave. . . "it was a company decision..." "it was a financial decision..." ..."job performance..."

WHAT???

What the hell am I gonna do with all these cookies I baked and planned to take in Monday???

Happy fucking Hump Day...
Treble Very Confused

6 comments:

Hazed said...

You could fight it. It would be one thing if you were working regular hours, bla bla, and they were just doing layoffs, but since you were out on doctor mandated medical leave, it's a pretty fine line they're working with.

Fighting it, though, would probably cost you more than would be worth. :( Will you at least get to draw unemployment? If you have already been out for 6 weeks, you may qualify to receive retroactive unemployment benefits. Maybe. Whatever happens, we're all here for you. Ask for a recommendation BEFORE telling them where to stick it, though ;p

limpy99 said...

First, eat the cookies. Second, do what fridaysweb suggests.

Saints and Spinners said...

That is way harsh. I hope that they give you a healthy severance package. I'm glad to see that being poked and prodded by all manners of things hasn't taken away your feisty spirit.

Anonymous said...

That HAS GOT TO BE ILLEGAL.

You can't fire someone on medical leave for the same reason you can't fire a woman on maternity leave, you have an open and shut case if you want to get a lawyer.

Anonymous said...

plus I could burn the place down for you if you want

Callie said...

Oh yeah - it's illegal. Especially if it was "female" issues you were taking time off for. Sooooooo wrong. You could make a case easily.